GP Careers Plus
The GP workforce in Norfolk and Waveney is rapidly shrinking due to the relatively high numbers of GPs reaching retirement age or leaving early due to increasing workload pressures. Work is underway to attract more GPs into the local workforce through expanded training and international recruitment.
In response to the shrinking GP workforce, Great Yarmouth and Waveney CCG have a developed the GP Careers Plus scheme that involves creating a ‘bank’ of experienced GPs that supply cover for clinical sessions to local practices to fill long-standing vacant sessions and short-term cover for sick and annual leave, with the CCG facilitating introductions. All bookings and invoicing are done through the online booking platform LocumDeck
Benefits of the scheme
- Top-up indemnity cover (based on the national framework)
- GMC subscription
- Annual training allowance of £250 (for appraisal, CPD and other educational needs)
- Flexible working
- Membership to a group of like-minded GPs who can provide peer support and advice on appraisals and revalidation
- Information for practices here
- Information for GPs here
- How to register with LocumDeck here
- CCG-GP MoU here
- CCG-Practice MoU here
Self-Directed Learning Peer Group Meetings
These meetings are held on the first Monday of each month from 7.30pm – 9pm at IC24 Offices located at Reed House (third floor), Peachman Way, Norwich, NR7 OWF. Due to Covid-19 there will be no meetings until further notice.
GPN Careers Plus
The GPN Careers Plus scheme is a retention programme that will offer greater employment flexibility for General Practice Nurses who are looking to retire or leave their substantive position within General Practice; to help retain and utilise their skills, knowledge and experience within the Primary Care system. The scheme is also suitable open to Nurses currently working part-time in general practice who wish to pick up additional shifts.
This programme adopts a similar approach to GP Careers Plus but is tailored to meet the requirements of the nursing workforce demands.
Benefits of the scheme
- Flexibility of hours
- Personal training and education allowance
- Peer group support
- Administration support
- Opportunity to use specific clinical skills
- Working across different Practices and Populations
- GPN Careers Plus FAQs here
- Information for Practices here
- Information for Nurses here
- Nurse MoU here
- Practice MoU here
- Practice-Nurse Agreement here