Advanced Clinical Practice (ACP) roles can be undertaken by General Practice Nurses, or other, highly experienced, registered health and care practitioners that work in General Practice, such as Pharmacists, Paramedics or other allied health professionals. ACP roles involve a high degree of autonomy and clinical decision making and often include leadership, management and/or educational skills.
What does an Advanced Clinical Practitioner do?
In addition to practicing their professional discipline (nursing, pharmacy, physio etc.) at an advanced level:
- Assess, diagnose, plan, implement and evaluate treatment/interventions and care for patients presenting with an undifferentiated diagnosis.
- Diagnose and manage both acute and chronic conditions, integrating both drug- and non-drug-based treatment methods into a management plan.
- Prescribe and review medication for therapeutic effectiveness, appropriate to patient needs and in accordance with evidence-based practice and national and practice protocols, and within scope of practice.
- Work with patients in order to support compliance with and adherence to prescribed treatments.
- In addition to clinical practice, the role also encompasses leadership and management, education and research within the Practice.
- Registration with appropriate Professional Body (i.e. NMC or HCPC)
- Extensive post-registration experience
- A relevant Master’s level award or equivalent
- Commitment to the four pillars of advanced practice; clinical practice, leadership, education and research
Advanced Professional Practitioner (APP) MSc
Health Education England and Norfolk and Waveney Training Hub have previously supported the delivery of education models to enable the APP level of practice and associated roles to meet current and future NHS workforce challenges. The purpose of this programme is designed to:
- Upskill and develop staff to deliver quality and safe care for patients
- Deliver advanced practice roles, including in priority areas such as community, primary care and mental health
- Support retention and career development
- Promote new roles to attract people to work in the NHS
- Plan changes to current and future workforce to address inherent gaps
APP MSc Funding Process
ACP MSc Apprenticeship Funding Process
- APP MSc UEA Handbook
- ACP MSc Apprenticeship Handbook
- ACP/APP MSc FAQs and Funding Process
- ACP/APP Expression of Interest Form